Thursday, November 17, 2011

What Do You Choose?

There's something to be said about investing in your own life.  Investing in your own happiness. Investing in your own ability to be at your best.  Today I had a conversation with someone I was dating that needed to be had - on a particular day when I saw a documentary called "Happy". The documentary is about how people in the world choose to be/are/are not happy.  How can you truly ever be happy when you're not your authentic self? The unhappiness always seems to spill out and manifest in other ways.  Sometimes we compensate with buying "things", making "things", eating "things", drinking "things", fixing "things", growing "things", smoking "things", etc. You get the idea.  In this situation someone gave up so that they could avoid the real "things" in their life.  It's sad that they don't have the courage to be "happy" - even when their happiness had to be veiled in discretion.

I wish nothing but the best for them while they embark on their journey to self-acceptance and loving themselves enough to be "happy".

With that said - while it may seem difficult to pull from the days events to find some happiness - I can. I choose to be happy.
  1. Today I saw the inspiring and moving documentary, "Happy".  I love how it resonated with me and in a way, prepared me for the conversation that I had tonight.
  2. I made someone's day when I brought them some chocolate! 
  3. A blog writer contacted me today about interviewing me and some team members about being male crafters/sellers on Etsy.  I do the interview on Monday. How cool is that?
  4. I talked to one of my brothers today.  We don't talk often but when we do it's pretty cool. I'd like to think that if we lived near one another we'd be closer. This goes for both brothers. hahaha As we get older it's like we put aside age differences in lieu of just general things in common. Today I learned that he always wanted to travel in an RV and see different things in the US like Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone Park, and the Grand Canyon.  Guess what? I do too!  We might have to make this happen!
  5. Watching Private Practice tonight gave me two things I loved.  The storyline and the three songs they played from the new Mary J. Blige album.  Three great ballads on the show! "Need Someone" "Living Proof" and "Empty Prayers"
  6. In further reflection, I loved my maturity in the situation tonight. I acknowledge that the only thing I can change is how I react to things in my life.
  7. I loved how the different lessons I've learned over the years and by participating in Oprah's Lifeclass has really had a major impact on how I navigate through life. One of the lessons is expressed by Randy Pausch.
  8. It's amazing how many more things I can list today as opposed to any other day.

Happy - A Documentary Trailer from Wadi Rum Films on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment