Tuesday, October 11, 2011

D. Hicks' Deep Thoughts

Today I have been very cerebral.  Just a lot of awesome moments of thought and happenstance.  I took advantage of the opportunities so they would not pass me by.

  1. Today I am really thinking about my post from yesterday about FEARLESSNESS.  I think this is something to really think about as an individual.  What holding you back right now?  This was a question posed on Oprah's Life Class.  My response was: "The fear of things not working out.  I hope to experience more of my own FEARLESSNESS as opposed to FEARFULNESS. I'm loving these thoughts.
  2. What I found amazing today was that nearly every conversation I had was surrounding the word FEARLESS.  I reached for a Dove Chocolate - you know, the ones with the little messages under the wrapper - and written on the foil was "Be Fearless". VERY PROFOUND! 
  3. Today is National Coming Out Day - I mentioned this to a friend and it wasn't as well received as I had hoped and that's okay.  It caused me to understand how far I've come in my own journey. Following the fearlessness theme, I created an "It Gets Better" video on campus as part of a university project. I wanted to show some level of my own fearlessness and share with whomever watches it. In the video I stated that no matter what, they must persevere and be fearless in the life they've been given so that they can be the most amazing person they can be. It most certainly can get better. Just trust in yourself. Trust in the thought that you will never be given anything you can't handle.
  4. I love that I keep finding more and more inspiration in my daily life.  It's like I'm having a mini Harlem Renaissance in Manassas!  I created this graphic today because the word "fearless" kept coming up.

  5. Tonight I was waiting in the express line at Super Walmart and the customer in front of me paid and the cashier didn't have enough money in the till to give her so she had to go to the service desk to get more change.  It probably took a good 10 - 12 minutes and other people were leaving her line to go to others.  Finally, the cashier returned and gave the customer her $3.64 in change. The cashier greeted me and apologized for the wait. She also commented on how she noticed that I didn't yell at her or complain.  I said to her, "Well, I wouldn't ever do that because it wouldn't have made any difference because you still had to get change and I am a very patient guy."  She smile and said, "God bless you. Thank you." That gratitude was enough to make me feel great and it was enough to make up for the wait - hearing her gratitude and seeing that she had a positive attitude during the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment