Sunday, January 8, 2012

Smart. Sophisticated. Satisfied

What a great day!  It was busy but I enjoyed every bit of it. I always feel so "smart" and "sophisticated" when I do things like this. I've been to many museums but this time it felt different in a good way.  I also leave museums with a strong urge to create works of art. I have canvases sitting around the house and they desperately need to be shown some attention. I also have a drawing I started nearly 10 years ago - I think I may have just found some motivation to finish it. 

I have to say it again - it was a really nice day.  The company I kept. The weather. The food. And now I can add the five specific things I loved about today.
  1. I went to the Phillips Collection in DC.  Great museum that was exhibiting works by Degas.  I remember Degas's work from being an art major in college. He was one of my favorites - probably the favorites of many people simply because he's just one of the more well known impressionist artists. LOL  It's like, you can't mention impressionism without Degas, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Monet, Renoir... They were all on display there.  I really enjoyed it.  I'm thankful for VG for suggesting we visit. 
  2. While at the Phillips Collection I saw the work of Arthur Dove. I had never heard of this man before and I can't say that I loved everything he did from the instant I saw it - but what I did love is his signature.  He seems like a very bold man because of the placement of his signature.  He signed his name "Dove" smack dab in the center of his painting. He didn't seem to care what was there... he just knew he was going to sign in the center no matter what. LOL  When everyone else chose to sign on the bottom left or bottom right corner, he bucked convention. Way to go Dove!
  3. On my way home from DC I decided to give one of my friends a call. I haven't seen Hank in a couple months so I thought that since I was passing Arlington, we could go to Chevy's for happy hour.  Cheap eats and drinks ($3 for each item!). It was nice catching up with him. 
  4. Now, I'm not one for PDA (most of the time).. but I certainly didn't mind it today at Starbucks. I love how I didn't even think twice about it.
  5. I tried two new food places today.  Cafe Dupont and Le Pain Quotidien. Both were good places. I love how Le Pain Quotidien had a dark chocolate spread on the table - so of course I had to order something to spread that chocolate on. hahahaha I ordered a croissant.

No comments:

Post a Comment